MrLA

Monday, April 23, 2012

Sunday in the Rain Forest with Mr. LA!

It's been Spring in Los Angeles for the last two weeks.  While we still have cooler than normal temperatures, life is beautiful here in Los Angeles.  This is what we pay the big bucks in houses, mortgages, and taxes for:  the scenery and the chance to experience it with our five senses.  This is why my friend, Joe, and countless thousands of other transplants like him like to call their friends "back home" and razz them about the 80-degree sunshine and everyone in shorts and flip-flops while they freeze for the 80th day in a row in sub-freezing temps.

While film after tv show makes everyone believe that Los Angeles is one neverending  palm and surfing Malibu Beach, L. A.'s scenery elsewhere is even more spectacular. 

L. A. has two giant parks:  Griffith Park, the largest city park in the United States; and Elysian Park, a huge remnant of the land the Tongva Indians lived in and the Spanish found in 1769.  Running alongside both of these massive "green lungs" is the Los Angeles River.  I am lucky to live in between all three of them.

I experienced my "Eat Your Heart Out, You Non-Angelinos" moment last Sunday.  I love going to the Atwater Village Farmers Market.  I remember Atwater Village when it was just Atwater but changing a neighborhood's name to "Village" to make a house worth 1/3 more than it was before is another blog entry for another time :-).  It's one of the liveliest, funnest, culturally and culinarily eclectic farmers markets in a city filled with those types of farmers markets.

Where else but at a L. A. farmers market can you breakfast on pupusas and Korean short ribs, followed by a raw sugar cane juice chaser and finish it off, al fresco, with a pain au chocolat and espresso, then get your energy cleared and your chakras up and running like they should by an acupuncturist.

I decided to walk there.  It's two miles from my house to the market but it was a gorgeous Sunday morning and I wanted to feel the sunshine, clear blue sky and nature along the L. A. Riverwalk.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much. I agree with your article, this really helped me. I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot. Good website.

    read more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Andrea:

    Thank you for your lovely comment. I haven't been able to keep up my blog like I've wanted to recently but I'm back now. Check for my next entry on Monday.

    Happy Labor Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete